Code Compliance Program
The Code Compliance Program has a commitment to preserve and protect the overall safety and welfare of the residents of Fayetteville.
About the Program
The Code Compliance Program enhances neighborhoods and works to ensure the health, safety, and general welfare of City residents through efficient and effective code compliance. All actions are conducted in a responsive and fair manner, focusing on customer service and public awareness, while respecting the property rights of our citizens.
View the Code Compliance handout for more information.
Know the Codes
Keeping Fayetteville clean and green is the responsibility of all City residents. By learning to understand the importance of City codes, each of us will contribute to building a community that we can all enjoy and feel proud to share. Listed below are City codes the Code Compliance Program enforces.
Unsightly or Unsanitary Conditions on Real Property
Brush, furniture, appliances and/or other items placed curbside outside of a scheduled trash-collection period is a violation of City Code. The City's Recycling & Trash Collection Division provides one free bulk pick-up per year for each household. The brush/bulk items may only be placed curbside once the pick-up has been scheduled. The City also holds eight Bulky Waste Clean-Up events per year which allow Fayetteville residents the opportunity to drop off bulky items for free.
If grass or weeds are 8 inches or taller on an occupied lot or 18 inches or taller on a vacant lot, Code Compliance may issue a notice to the property owner requesting that the property be mowed. If the notice is ignored, the City will correct the violation at the owner's expense
- Code 98.02
- The owner, occupant or agent of every house or parcel of land in the city shall keep the sidewalk and gutter in front or alongside the same free from all obstructions of grass, leaves, weeds or other growths, substances or things.
- The owner, occupant or agent of every house or parcel of land in the city may not place, maintain, or permit a tree or plant to obstruct a sidewalk. Vegetation growing over a sidewalk shall be trimmed by the property owner, occupant or agent at a minimum clearance of 8 feet above the sidewalk for the full width of the sidewalk. Where adequate right of way exists, clearance shall be 2 feet back from the edge of sidewalk or edge of pavement if no sidewalk exists. In no event, shall this require clearance outside of the existing public right-of-way. Newly planted street trees are exempt from the 8-foot clearance requirement until they are large enough to be trimmed to compliance.
@(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Homes or commercial buildings that have become dilapidated may be considered dangerous structures. These structures are often vacant and become home to rodents, snakes, and/or illegal activities that may threaten the health and safety of the surrounding community.
Depending on the condition of the property, the structure may be cleaned and secured or razed and removed by the City, at the owner's expense.
Parking & Storage of Certain Vehicles
Feeding Deer Inside City Limits is Prohibited
Fayetteville is located inside the Chronic Wasting Disease Management Zone, therefore feeding deer is prohibited per the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission. (Please note hunting is not allowed in the city limits of Fayetteville.)
What Happens When A Violation Occurs?
- Door Hanger: A door hanger will be placed on the door of the property to explain the violation. If a property owner/resident receives a door hanger and has questions, they can call the number listed on the door hanger to speak with a Code Compliance Officer.
- Notice of Violation: A Notice of Violation letter will be sent to the property owner. The letter will be mailed by certified mail to the mailing address provided by Washington County Records.
- Abatement Measures: After the time frame given to the property owner to correct the violation has expired, abatement measures will begin. The time frame to correct a violation depends on the code violation.